March 22, 2018 - Shire plc (LSE: SHP, NASDAQ: SHPG) (the “Company”) announces that the following documents will today be posted to shareholders:
- 2017 Annual Report
- Notice of the 2018 Annual General Meeting
- Form of Proxy
In accordance with Listing Rule 9.6.1R, a copy of each of these documents will be uploaded to the National Storage Mechanism and will be available for viewing shortly.
The 2017 Annual Report and Notice of the 2018 Annual General Meeting are also available on Shire’s website: www.shire.com
Disclosure & Transparency Rule (“DTR”) 6.3.5R requires the Company to disclose to the media certain information from its Annual Report if that information is of a type that would be required to be disseminated in a half-yearly report. The information contained in the Appendix to this announcement, together with the Company’s unaudited full year results for the year ended December 31, 2017, issued on February 14, 2018, constitute the materials required by DTR 6.3.5R to be communicated to the media in unedited full text through a Regulatory Information Service. This material is not a substitute for reading the full 2017 Annual Report. Page and note references in the Appendices below refer to page and note references in the 2017 Annual Report.
The information included in the Appendix is extracted from the 2017 Annual Report which is dated February 16, 2018. Defined terms used in the Appendix refer to terms as defined in the 2017 Annual Report, unless the context otherwise requires.
Company Secretarial Assistant
Download the PDF for the full announcement
For further information please contact:
NOTES TO EDITORS
Shire is the global leader in serving patients with rare diseases. We strive to develop best-in-class therapies across a core of rare disease areas including hematology, immunology, genetic diseases, neuroscience, and internal medicine with growing therapeutic areas in ophthalmics and oncology. Our diversified capabilities enable us to reach patients in more than 100 countries who are struggling to live their lives to the fullest.
We feel a strong sense of urgency to address unmet medical needs and work tirelessly to improve people’s lives with medicines that have a meaningful impact on patients and all who support them on their journey.
Statements included herein that are not historical facts, including without limitation statements concerning future strategy, plans, objectives, expectations and intentions, projected revenues, the anticipated timing of clinical trials and approvals for, and the commercial potential of, inline or pipeline products, are forward-looking statements. Such forward-looking statements involve a number of risks and uncertainties and are subject to change at any time. In the event such risks or uncertainties materialize, Shire’s results could be materially adversely affected. The risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Shire’s products may not be a commercial success;
- increased pricing pressures and limits on patient access as a result of governmental regulations and market developments may affect Shire’s future revenues, financial condition and results of operations;
- Shire depends on third parties to supply certain inputs and services critical to its operations including certain inputs, services and ingredients critical to its manufacturing processes. Any disruption to the supply chain for any of Shire’s products may result in Shire being unable to continue marketing or developing a product or may result in Shire being unable to do so on a commercially viable basis for some period of time;
- the manufacture of Shire’s products is subject to extensive oversight by various regulatory agencies. Regulatory approvals or interventions associated with changes to manufacturing sites, ingredients or manufacturing processes could lead to, among other things, significant delays, an increase in operating costs, lost product sales, an interruption of research activities or the delay of new product launches;
- the nature of producing plasma-based therapies may prevent Shire from timely responding to market forces and effectively managing its production capacity;
- Shire has a portfolio of products in various stages of research and development. The successful development of these products is highly uncertain and requires significant expenditures and time, and there is no guarantee that these products will receive regulatory approval;
- the actions of certain customers could affect Shire’s ability to sell or market products profitably. Fluctuations in buying or distribution patterns by such customers can adversely affect Shire’s revenues, financial conditions or results of operations;
- failure to comply with laws and regulations governing the sales and marketing of its products could materially impact Shire’s revenues and profitability;
- Shire’s products and product candidates face substantial competition in the product markets in which it operates, including competition from generics;
- Shire’s patented products are subject to significant competition from generics;
- adverse outcomes in legal matters, tax audits and other disputes, including Shire’s ability to enforce and defend patents and other intellectual property rights required for its business, could have a material adverse effect on the Shire’s revenues, financial condition or results of operations;
- Shire may fail to obtain, maintain, enforce or defend the intellectual property rights required to conduct its business;
- Shire faces intense competition for highly qualified personnel from other companies and organizations;
- failure to successfully execute or attain strategic objectives from Shire’s acquisitions and growth strategy may adversely affect the Shire’s financial condition and results of operations;
- Shire’s growth strategy depends in part upon its ability to expand its product portfolio through external collaborations, which, if unsuccessful, may adversely affect the development and sale of its products;
- a slowdown of global economic growth, or economic instability of countries in which Shire does business, could have negative consequences for Shire’s business and increase the risk of non-payment by Shire’s customers;
- changes in foreign currency exchange rates and interest rates could have a material adverse effect on Shire’s operating results and liquidity;
- Shire is subject to evolving and complex tax laws, which may result in additional liabilities that may adversely affect the Shire’s financial condition or results of operations;
- if a marketed product fails to work effectively or causes adverse side effects, this could result in damage to Shire’s reputation, the withdrawal of the product and legal action against Shire;
- Shire is dependent on information technology and its systems and infrastructure face certain risks, including from service disruptions, the loss of sensitive or confidential information, cyber-attacks and other security breaches or data leakages that could have a material adverse effect on Shire’s revenues, financial condition or results of operations;
- Shire faces risks relating to the expected exit of the United Kingdom from the European Union;
- Shire incurred substantial additional indebtedness to finance the Baxalta acquisition, which has increased its borrowing costs and may decrease its business flexibility;
- Shire's ongoing strategic review of its Neuroscience franchise may distract management and employees and may not lead to improved operating performance or financial results; there can be no guarantee that, once completed, Shire's strategic review will result in any additional strategic changes beyond those that have already been announced; and
a further list and description of risks, uncertainties and other matters can be found on pages 18 to 21 of the 2017 Annual Report.
All forward-looking statements attributable to us or any person acting on our behalf are expressly qualified in their entirety by this cautionary statement. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements that speak only as of the date hereof. Except to the extent otherwise required by applicable law, we do not undertake any obligation to update or revise forward- looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.