We’re proud to have reached the following milestones in the last two years:
Set ambitious targets for greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions reduction, water withdrawal, waste management and product stewardship.
- Takeda was recognized in the 2019 Dow Jones Sustainability World Index and in the 2021 Asia Pacific Dow Jones Sustainability World Index for 12 consecutive years
- We were included on CDP’s A / A- list for climate change leadership in 2020/2021.
- As a science-driven organization, Takeda’s climate change commitments are aligned with current climate science. In 2020, the Science-Based Targets initiative (SBTi) recognized Takeda’s goals as being consistent with reductions required to limit the rise in global temperature to 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels.
- We received two WorldStar Awards from the World Packaging Organization for our pioneering use of bio-polyethylene (bio-PE) in pharmaceutical primary packaging and secondary packaging for pre-filled syringes
- We were recognized as Green Lease Leader for incorporating sustainability into our global leasing practices.
Progress towards our goals
- We achieved carbon neutrality in our value chain for our fiscal year 2019 and maintained the status
- We are on track to eliminate 40% of our Scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions by FY2025. We’re aiming to eliminate them before FY2035.
- Initiated a global Climate Action Program at Sites (CAPS) that drives initiatives locally to reduce our GHG emissions, energy use, and water withdrawals.
- We diverted 84% of waste from landfill and are on track to achieve 90% or greater total waste-to-landfill diversion by FY2025.
- We partnered with key suppliers to help them establish science-based carbon emissions reduction goals and take additional actions to reduce their emissions in line with the targets they set.
- Joined the Race to Zero campaign – the largest ever alliance committed to eliminating carbon emissions by 2050 at the latest (UN Climate Change).
- Support the Energize program, a collaboration between 10 global pharmaceutical companies to engage their suppliers in bold climate action and decarbonization of the pharmaceutical value chain through renewable energy procurement.
We’re proud of our progress, and we know there is more we need to do to contribute to environmental sustainability.
As we look to the future, we aspire to build a sustainable future for patient, people, and the planet. We’re taking action to reduce our environmental impacts throughout the lifecycles of our products and through the way we work. We’re improving our own ways of working, assisting our suppliers and partners in their commitments and efforts, as well as rallying people worldwide.
Learn More About Takeda’s Environmental Commitments