Based on the corporate philosophy of "Takeda-ism" (Integrity: Fairness, Honesty and Perseverance) developed over its long corporate history of more than 230 years, Takeda conducts activities according to the corporate mission to "strive towards better health for people worldwide through leading innovation in medicine."
Over two centuries ago in 1781, 32-year-old Chobei Takeda I started a business selling traditional Japanese and Chinese medicines in Doshomachi, Osaka, the center of the medicine trade in Japan. His small shop bought medicines from wholesalers, then divided them into smaller batches and sold them to local medicine merchants and doctors. This was the beginning of the present-day Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited.
Chobei III demolished the old mansion in the southeast of...
In April 1852, Chobei III demolished the old mansion in the southeast of Doshomachi Nakabashisuji and built a new home and a warehouse. These buildings lasted approximately 75 years until the construction for the head office building started in 1927.
Import of Western medicines begins
Chobei Takeda IV led other medicine retailers in turning his attention to Western...
Chobei Takeda IV led other medicine retailers in turning his attention to Western medicine. He formed a cooperative union for purchasing Western medicines in Yokohama and began transactions with foreign trading companies. Western medicines imported at the time included quinine, an anti-malaria drug, and phenol, an anti-cholera drug.
Takeda began direct imports from England, the U.S., Germany, Spain and other countries around 1895, and in 1907 obtained exclusive sales rights in Japan for products from German company Bayer. Thus, the business that began as a shop selling old-fashioned Japanese and Chinese remedies steadily increased its selection of Western medicines, before shifting its basic orientation to Western medicine.
Pharmaceutical manufacturing business....
In 1895, the Company acquired Uchibayashi Drug Works to establish its own factory in...
In 1895, the Company acquired Uchibayashi Drug Works to establish its own factory in Osaka and became a pharmaceutical manufacturer. This factory produced products such as bismuth subgallate (an antidiarrheal agent) and quinine hydrochloride.
Research activities begin with establishment of a research...
Around this time, Takeda began introducing a succession of its own products. Among these were Calmotin®(a sedative), Novoroform®(an analgesic) and Lodinon®(an injectable form of D-glucose). Takeda steadily expanded its pharmaceutical business and even began exports to the U.S., Russia and China.
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company established.
Soon after starting the pharmaceutical business, the testing division was formed. The research division, which researched and developed new pharmaceutical products, was also formed in 1915. The R&D system formed during this period became the foundation which lead to the growth of Takeda.
Takeda Store before the shortening of the eaves
Along with the shortening of the eaves and the widening of the roads in Doshomachi, wooden block pavements were laid.
Incorporated as Chobei Takeda & Co., Ltd.
The Company was incorporated as Chobei Takeda & Co., Ltd., with capital of 5.3 million yen and Chobei Takeda V as president. The Company went from being an individually owned business to a modern corporate organization integrating R&D, manufacturing and marketing.
The Company changed its name to Takeda Pharmaceutical Industries, Ltd. in 1943 (its English name was changed to Takeda Chemical Industries, Ltd. in 1961).
From factory of Takeda Pharmaceutical Company to...
From factory of Takeda Pharmaceutical Company to main factory of Chobei Takeda & Co., Ltd
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company merged with Chobei Takeda & Co., Ltd in 1925 and became the main factory of the pharmaceutical division.
Takeda Garden for Medicinal Plant Conservation (Kyoto)...
This conservation has collected, grown and used herbs and other plants with medicinal value from around the world. Currently, the garden has more than 2,882 species of plants, including 104 endangered species.
*Established as "Kyoto Takeda Herbal Garden." The name was changed to "Kyoto Experimental Garden" in 1945 and changed again to its current name in 1994.
Institute for Fermentation, Osaka Established
For more than 60 years, this institute has been devoted to the preservation of...
For more than 60 years, this institute has been devoted to the preservation of microorganisms to support research. Today, it serves as a research foundation dedicated to the advancement of microbial science.